See what happens when you put Alka Seltzer and water into a small container.
- Film Canister with Lid
- Alka Seltzer * (Common pain relief medication)
- H20 (Water)
- Adult Supervision
- Step 1 : Put safety goggles on
- Step 2: Fill the film canister half way with water
- Step 3: Place Alka Seltzer into film canister
- Step 4: Put the lid on film canister on VERY QUICKLY
- Step 5: Step back and watch it EXPLODE!
Alka Seltzer contains citric acid and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). But you put these together they react and start fizzing. Because the experiment is in a small container (film canister), the gas created from the reaction puts pressure on the lid and eventually POPS! Below is the scientific formula for the experiment. NaHCO3(aq) + C6H8O7(aq)NaC6H7O7(aq) + H2O(l) + CO2(g)
Warning, this is a high pressure video. Goggle MUST be worn.
Make sure you have adult supervision. This experiment can get messy.